Saturday, January 18, 2014

County Clare Fish Fry

What: County Clare Fish Fry
When: Friday, January 10, 2013
Cost: $13


The County Clare has been at the top of my Fish Fry list since I visited Adam in September and we went for dinner on a Friday night.  We didn't order the fish fry, but saw the scrumptious plates of fellow patrons that night.  The County Clare is an Irish Pub, Restaurant and Inn located in downtown Milwaukee.  This is one of our favorite restaurants in Milwaukee.  Adam used to live across the street, in an apartment at the Astor Hotel.  When he was in grad school, he would go to the County Clare and sit in the Saint’s Snug, next to the fire, and sip on a Guinness as he studied his books.  After I moved to Wisconsin in 2009, one of our first outings was to the County Clare.  We ordered the curry fries and a shepherd’s pie.  In the numerous times since then that I have been to the County Clare, I refuse to order anything else.  The shepherd’s pie is not made with the typical ground beef.  Instead, they use the juiciest, tastiest shredded beef.  The mashed potatoes on top bring tears to my eyes they’re so delicious!  That, paired with the curry fries and a perfectly poured Guinness, is such a satisfying meal.  It was difficult for me to go to the Clare and not order this, but I did in the name of my research of fish fries.  


I was not disappointed.  The plate included 10 ounces of Smithwick’s hand battered fried cod, rye bread, coleslaw, tartar sauce and mashed potatoes. (One could choose fries over mashed potatoes, but I don’t know that you would after having their mashed potatoes).  The meal did not disappoint.  The fish was perfectly battered and had a fantastic flavor.  It wasn't too dry.  It was not too crispy, nor too soft.  The County Clare has catapulted itself to the top of my list of my favorite fish fry.  The experience was topped off by enjoying this amazing meal in a cozy Irish pub, surrounded by great friends!  This shall be difficult to beat!

0 comments:

Post a Comment