Saturday, January 18, 2014

Lake Michigan and Hue

When I originally created my Lizt, I did so with the intention to experience all the wonderful things Milwaukee has to offer.  I’ve already learned that there is so much more to discover in this city than the measly list I came up with.  I moved to Milwaukee excited to be among friends in a fun city.  The one point I was a little let down about was that there are no mountains.  I am a mountain girl.  

Me and My Mountains 
(Asheville, 2007.  Photo cred to baby brother, Jason)

My family originated from the Basque Pyrenees, I went to school in the Appalachians, I married my husband in the Rockies, and skiing down any mountain is the only physical activity I seem to be coordinated enough to accomplish.  To permanently settle in a city with no mountains was a minor disappointment.  When looking for a house in Milwaukee, we were encouraged by friends to look at houses closer to the lake (incidentally, closer to them!)  We listened and the first few days in our house, we took the dogs on a walk to Lake Michigan.  What a beautiful site to look out across a serene lake, with downtown Milwaukee shinning behind it!  I continued to return every day of that first week in the fall, walking through Bay View Park or South Shore Park.  Once I permanently moved here in late December, walks were fewer and father between with icy sidewalks and the fantastic Warnimont Dog Park to exhaust Razza and Gabe’s energies.  Then last week happened.  Last week, we had wind-chills hitting near -50 for about 48 hours.  I like cold weather.  I do not like whatever that was.  Schools were closed, public offices were closed. The only reason for us to go outside was to run to our cars.  Cars that needed to be started and run every few hours so that it would start when you needed them to.  There were countless coworkers and friends who had cars that wouldn’t start.  We got a warning light on our car for low tire pressure (air shrinks in the cold).  After the “polar vortex” passed, it warmed up to the 20’s and I had never been so happy to see double digits in the forecast!  Two days after the brutal freeze had ended, it was warm enough for me to take a mid-morning walk with the dogs.  Bundled up, we headed down to the Lake for our normal walk.  As we approached Bay View Park, a kind gentleman stopped to pet the dogs.  He remarked that he had heard the lake was frozen to the breakers.  He said he didn’t remember the last time that had happened, but with the number of sub-zero days, it was inevitable.
Frozen Lake Michigan


We decided to take a closer look, so went down to the beach below the park.  The lake was absolutely stunning.  I never knew ice could be so beautiful! I never knew the LAKE could be so beautiful!  

Razza Loves Snow

Happy Gabe at Lake Michigan

We walked north along the beach and admired the wonders of nature.  At one point, I stopped to take a picture and take in the serene setting.  We were below the sounds of the street, all alone on the path.  As I was taking it all in, I heard a noise.  I had never heard it before, but immediately knew what it was.  Lake Michigan was melting.  The ice was cracking, shifting.  And just like that, I didn’t regret the lack of mountains.  I have a lake, a beautiful, majestic lake, whose ever changing face I can witness every day. 


Two days later, Adam and I took a walk to the lake with the dogs to heal from the Panther’s loss and watched miniature ice bergs crash into the banks of the beach.  The thaw had turned the solid frozen hunk of lake into hundreds of massive chunks of ice, dancing in the waves of the lake. 

Melted Lake

Since I have lived here, I have seen the lake numerous times, driving up and down Shore Drive or Superior.  Not once has it failed to take my breath away.  I never thought I could be so smitten with a lake.  I think “Lake Michigan Blue” is my new favorite color.




After my walk to the lake with the dogs, I rushed to meet a friend at a fantastic restaurant, Hue.  I’ve been here before, but I have to mention this place.  It’s a Vietnamese restaurant on Kinnickinnic.  The first time I went, the waitress recommended the Vegetarian Pho with the flash fried tofu.  I’ve never been a fan of tofu, but I am when it’s made this way!  The Pho has incredibly fresh veggies and herbs and the broth is outstanding.  I have never ordered any other dish at Hue because I can’t peel myself away from this one.  After a long walk on a cold winter’s day by the lake, the warmth rejuvenates your senses and makes your soul relax into a comfortable calm.  It makes me appreciate the winter and the cold, so I can experience the power of soup!

0 comments:

Post a Comment