Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sampson Stomp

What: Sampson Stomp 5k at the Milwaukee Zoo
When: Sunday, January 19, 2014
Cost: $25

When I look at my list of “Things I Want to Do During The Winter Months In Wisconsin”, I think of things like drinking hot chocolate, curling up in multiple blankets on my couch, wearing cute scarves and hats, and ice skating. Running a 5k is not at the top, middle, or even the bottom of that list. But for the last few years, Adam’s sister, Sarah, has run a 5k in January at the Milwaukee zoo and has sworn it is super fun. This year I was able, and happy, to join her. I talked Jess into running with us, which wasn’t difficult as she is a marathon champ and a running goddess.  The weeks leading up to the run were laden with arctic temps which led me to question why I would want to run in mid-January in Milwaukee. Then, the day of the race, the temps shot up to the 20’s and the sun shined as it hadn’t in weeks. I felt really good about this race. 

The Sampson Stomp is a 5k/fun run which honors one of the most famous members of the Milwaukee Zoo, Sampson, a silverback gorilla who lived from 1950-1981. The proceeds go to help with all of the animals at the zoo.  For those who don’t know me very well, I have always been a huge animal lover.  As a small child, I did not want dolls or Barbie’s, but rather stuffed animals.  I always loved visiting the National Zoo in DC when I would visit my dad growing up.  This was my first trip to the Milwaukee Zoo.  Between the panting and the gulps of air, I was able to enjoy a few brave animals who stuck their heads out to see what all the commotion was about.  There were penguins, mountain goats, and two humped camels (called Bactrian camels)! I fully intend to return to the zoo during the warmer months to visit the wide array of animals, not just the ones who are comfortable in below freezing temps!
Penguins!

We met Sampson!


 Not only was this my first trip to the Milwaukee Zoo, this was my first official 5k. In Charleston, I had participated in a Law Enforcement Torch Run for the Special Olympics.  It was between 3.5 and 4 miles, but was not a race. We all stayed behind the torch, so perhaps there was less incentive to run fast.  Although I struggled quite more than I would have liked, I was able to finish the race while jogging/running the entire 5k.  I don’t think I would have been able to say that without Sarah and Jess running with me and encouraging me!  Overall, the race was enjoyable, family friendly, and through some unique scenery! Thanks, Sampson, for encouraging us to get out and stomp our January blues away!

0 comments:

Post a Comment